Sunday, September 12, 2010

Houston Alexander Talks UFC, Sokoudjou, And Getting Paid

By Chris Howie <br><br>

Houston Alexander will meet one of the toughest tests of his career this week when he meets Thierry Sokoudjou in Amarillo, TX at Shark Fights 13 Saturday night.<br><br>

The Nebraskan feels confident heading into the bout and talked about his opponent with MMANews.com this week. ?Sokoudjou is a tough guy man but I?m a strong guy too. We're both powerful and quick so I think it all depends on who gets to the punch first or who gets the take down first and who is more aggressive. I'm physically and mentally ready so I?m ready for this whole thing. I?m completely healthy and coming into this fight, injury free.?<br><br>

Since leaving the UFC, Alexander has gone 1-1, losing via TKO and winning a decision. ?The Assassin? looks to get back to the winning side and a change in training and a game plan that worked in the past has him hopeful ?You get to see old Houston. After changing things up a bit for my last fights you're going to see that raw style back this time. That is the style that has won me fights over the last few years. I've made things better for this fight. I've dotted the I's and crossed the T's.?<br><br>

<!--more-break-->

Eight of his ten wins have come via knockout or submission due to strikes and that was something many expected to see in his fight against Kimbo Slice but the game plan going into that fight didn?t look for the KO ?That was the game plan the coaching staff worked out for me and I tried to follow it. I went to a whole bunch of riggamond roll but I followed it. That's what happens. If the coaching staff tells you to do something you do it. As a professional fighter that's my job. It wasn't a very popular fight for a lot of people though.?<br><br>

That would be his last fight in the UFC and although he didn?t leave on bad terms, he?s not necessarily concerned about going back to the UFC ?I didn?t leave on bad terms. Unfortunately with that Kimbo fight it was the last fight on the contract so it was done at the time. There?s always a chance I could go back to the UFC but it's really just all about the money. I?m not necessarily worried about going back to the UFC. The way I am it doesn't matter who I?m fighting as long as I?m winning. A W is more important than fighting for an organization because once you have the W's the organizations will call you.?<br><br>


<!--more-break-->

When the card was first announced it was rumored that Alexander would face Keith Jardine in a rematch of their UFC bout but that fell through and Alexander explains why ?I don't want to fight Keith Jardine again. That would take away from the essence of the first fight. It just doesn't seem right to me to fight him again. That was my breakthrough fight so why do I want to go back to that again. If it was that important it's something we should have done in the UFC.?<br><br>

A one off deal with Shark Fights is on the table but Alexander says if things go well he?d like to stick around ?If it works out that they want us to stick around and want to pay the money I?m worth than we might stick around because they've done some good cards so far. I?m happy to be part of this card because there are some big names on it.?<br><br>

Fireworks are expected when Alexander and Sokoudjou meet up this weekend as both have powerful hands and explosive speed ?I feel we kind of mirror each other in a lot of the things we do so if he comes out trying to do what I?m trying to do that you can expect an exciting fight. It should be real exciting when you put two assassins in the same room.?

mma fight 2009 mma fight teams jose canseco mma fight

No comments:

Post a Comment